In the past someone has asked me about about my advise, tips and guide for someone who just started their online business selling arts.
I gave a lot of thought about this question. I can only speak about my own experiences from the beginning until I became where I am today. It's a long journey. I must be honest that I am not the right person who can say much about this since success is still far beyond reach for me. But I can tell you right now and from that experiences I feel I am in the right track. Its only because the hard works I put in and the drive, motivation I had just to get here. So for that reason I can say, first you have to have commitment and stay focus in what ever you decided to do. Without that, it will be very hard for you to materialize your ideas. Once you have had that, it will become easy to get it establish.
I wish I had someone who can give me tips and guidance when I opened up my Instagram account. It was a personal account back then. Since I am an artist, it soon became my art social media platform. But I was not sure what I was doing. So I educated myself here and there about Instagram like how to gain more followers, etc. I also searched what it takes to be successful selling art online. I read a lot online about this and implemented those tips on my own instagram and other social media platforms. So here are my tips.
Tip No 1.
Open an Instagram account. There are many aspects to consider when open an Instagram account.
1. Theme. You must know what is it your account is all about. If it is art; post a lot of your arts and other things related to that. Ideally post 3 times a day. 1 in the morning, 1 between 12 am to 4 pm, and another 1 between 6 pm to 10 pm. I sometimes do 3 but often 2 a day. If you wanted to post something else other than art spread them a part and do it every 10 to 15 posts.
2. Use a filter. Your picture must have the same feel across the board like vintage, retro, etc. There are ton of apps out there that you can choose from. Like VSCO, Snapseed, Aviary and Preview app. These apps has their own photo adjustment tools with in them. You can edit your picture in your phone with these apps. And they are free, except for Previewapp. Please download and check them out yourself.
3. Invest on a good camera. Good camera goes a long way. You don't have to brake the bank to own them. Here are a few of good affordable cameras for instagram (here). People only take 1 or 2 second to decide if they want to explore more in an instagram account. It all depends on the picture quality itself. You know what I mean right?
4. Follow similar account. Ask questions, a lot of questions. These will lead to a potential people that may follow you.
5. Take insta story videos related to your art. People like to see you and your art. This is a personal way for you to let them know who you are. Your follower may want to see you in person and this is a good way to introduce yourself and showing what you do best. It's another way to gain follower.
Tip No 2.
Open a Facebook account. I am still learning about Facebook in relation to my business and art. I hope with Facebook I can market my art to people around my area. Those are my target market since my goal is to teach as well. More about this here.
Tip No. 3
Pinterest. If you had not own a Pinterest account please sign up for one. I just learned that Pinterest is huge just like google search engine. Right now I am in the middle of a course on how to sell my art through Pinterest. I used to use it to collect recipes, photography information, fashion, etc. But I deleted most of them. And now I wanted to connect my art, tips (like this one), watercolor tutorials to my Pinterest account so people can learn from me. If you interested in knowing more about this, please check (here)and (here)
Tip No. 4
Create a website dedicated only to your art. Like the one I have here. I feel complete when I finished created this website for my art. A website is everything about you and your art. When people see your website they automatically know who you are and what it is all about. It's all in one platform, your website. I did not have one until a month a go. I used squarespace.com. It is a wonderful website generator. It is easy to navigate and a lot of tools you can use to create a website you want. But it does comes with a cost of USD 120.00 per year.
Those are my social media platforms I am using to market my arts. I need to be proactive in all of these social medias in posting, promoting, displaying, create and posting tutorials, videos, about my art. And I still a lot to learn in those areas. Yes it is a lot but again it is back to what we talked about earlier; commitment. Without it, none of these would have happened. So pace yourself and don't think too far. Take it one day at a time. Make it fun. Soon you will be there. Good luck and thank you for reading.